Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Some of the Sights of Butte

I think I mentioned a while back that we took a little family trip to Butte on afternoon about a month ago. We took a few random pictures while we toured the sights of the old town, and it was kind of fun! Here are some of the things we saw...

Butte, MT

Butte, MT

This is the old M&M cafe. I guess it's been open 24 hours pretty much ever since the mining town was big. It's been around since 1890, and is a pretty good place to visit if you want a taste of Butte culture, or so we're told.

While there are lots of beautiful old brick buildings in Butte (it is very different from most Montana towns in that way), I'm not sure the sights we saw led us to believe there is that much culture left in the Copper City. Here is some of what we saw...

Butte, MT

Remnants of the old mining town still looming...

Butte, MT

Old businesses that look like they just stopped being (this is a law office, in case you can't read the sign above the door....)

Butte, MT

And a church-turned-movie-theater. I can't say that I've ever seen this one before. I've seen plenty of grocery-stores-turned-church-building, but this I just stopped and gawked at for a while.

But there were some other cool sights about the town, too, and lots of old buildings that were fun to look at...

Butte, MT

Butte, MT

Butte, MT

We wanted to take Ellie to go see the Berkley Pit, but it was closed for the season. We also wanted to go tour Our Lady of the Rockies, but I think it was closed because it was Sunday. The restaurant we were originally going to eat at was closed because it was Sunday, too. I think next time we will have to go on a weekday or a Saturday. Still, it was a pretty good afternoon. Pretty good indeed.

No comments: