Saturday, March 07, 2009

Ellie-isms

I'm sitting here listening to Ellie chatter to herself, and I am reminded of just how many cute things she says on a daily basis. Most of them don't even make it to the blog, but I figured I'd take a couple minutes and put some of them on the record:

Right now I'm listening to Ellie say to herself, "PBS kids dot org" over and over. (Perhaps she watches too much PBS in the morning?)

Any time Ellie wants to spell a word, she spells it the same way, and has for months. It's always "A-O-I-A-K". I don't know what it means or where it came from, but she will repeat that letter sequence over and over and over while she's playing or drawing.

I went to get Ellie dressed a couple weeks ago and I pulled out some green pants to wear with a green and pink flowered shirt. As soon as she saw the pants she threw herself on the ground in a fit and cried, "Nooooo! Those are BOYS' pants!!!" (Yet she had no problem with them when Leif pulled them out for her to wear a couple days later.)

That same week I tried to put Ellie in a pair of jeans and she cried, "But Mommy, I want to be BEAUTIFUL!!" when she rejected the jeans. *sigh*

If we tell Ellie a word, she can usually tell us what letter it starts with. For example, if we ask "What letter does 'Ellie' start with?" she will tell us "E!", or "What letter does 'purple' start with?" and she will tell us, "P!".

I tried to get creative with the above line of questioning by asking, "Ellie, what is a word that starts with H?" She stopped, thought about it, smiled, and answered with a resounding, "POTATO!" I think we need to work on that one a bit. =D

I told Ellie that we were going to her friend's house for dinner tonight and asked her to guess which friend. She was having trouble, so I tried to give her a hint by saying we were going to see, "Caaaaa...." to which she responded, "Mary Kay!!" Ha ha! We are going to Caedmon's house.

Ellie has had a bit of an attitude lately and hasn't wanted Leif to talk to her. When he'd try to talk with her she'd say, "Don't talk to me, Daddy!" After getting in trouble for saying that a few times she changed her tune and started saying instead, "Don't hear me, Daddy!"

I got my first real word clarification this morning. I told Ellie that she did something often and she looked at me quizzically and asked, "Often? What does 'often' mean?" I'm not sure I did a good job explaining what often means, but she seemed happy enough with my explanation.

Today in the car Ellie started to tell me something, and she started by saying, "Actually... "

Ellie pretty much talks non stop unless she's sleeping or in front of the television.

She also makes up silly songs.

No comments: