Wednesday, April 22, 2009

We're home!!

Ellie was particularly thrilled with the short tram ride from Concourse A to B. It brought back scads of memories of my growing up years when we got to ride the tram around DFW. I remember riding it around and around and around, for hours on end. In reality, it was probably just the once that I got to ride the tram at DFW, with the Newlins when I went with them to drop their grandparents off at the airport. I don't know why I was with them, but I do remember riding to the airport in their station wagon, sleeping on the floor of the car. Strange memory, but there it is. But I digress...

So Ellie thought the tram was great. And thankfully, she was happy to ride in her carseat in the stroller for this little adventurous trek around the Denver airport. She wanted to walk in DFW while we waited for our flight and that was, well, a little on the crazy side of things. I let her have a bite of Dad's bagel on the way to the airport this afternoon and I'm afraid it must have had some milk product in it, because she was crazy! Thank goodness she was much calmer at Denver, when we had a 3 hour layover.

So, the layover... it was great. We made it to our gate B80 (waaaaay at the end of the airport) after stopping for a frappuccino, muffin, and soy milk. Ellie watched a smidge of Little Einsteins on the netbook and then fell asleep. Let me tell you, a sleeping 2 year old on a 3 hour layover is a beautiful thing!! While she was sleeping, I decided to go looking for some "real" dinner. Overpriced dinner, if it must be, but some froufrou coffee and a shared banana muffin was not going to hold us until we got home at 11pm. But searching for food while Ellie was awake was a bad plan, as she wanted ice cream from every place we passed. It turns out that when you start from gate B80 in the Denver airport and go looking for fast-ish food, you don't find anything until you get to gate B30. That's a lot of walking! But I found a McDonald's and got a Southern Style Chicken Sandwich (if you haven't had one, you should. It's actually good.) for myself and a pack of chicken nuggets for Ellie when she woke up.

I assumed Ellie would wake up before we got on the plane.

She didn't.


May I just say that I'm extremely thankful for the woman who offered to help me get onto the plane, extending her sympathies because she, "has a 2 year old at home and knows what it's like"? Thank you, lady! She carried my 2 carry on bags (small plane, so I had to planeside check one when I checked the stroller) and I carried on the little girl, still sleeping in the car seat.

It's 10:37 right now, and she just woke up. She's eating the chicken nuggets. I'm glad, too, because after she slept through the layover and most of the flight, I was afraid I was going to come home with an overpriced, uneaten box of nuggets! Whew! Frugality crisis averted...

So, we're almost home. Well, by the time this gets posted, we will be home. =D But right now we're sitting in the comfort of seats 12C and D. When I saw the ticket assignments (which were originally not next to each other... that would have been exciting for some poor person who got stuck next to Ellie, ha ha!) I was happy that our seats were closer to the front of the plane. We were in row 20 on the last flight and I was looking forward to having fewer rows to haul stuff down this time. Well, there were fewer rows, but not because we were closer to the front of the plane... we are sitting in the very back row, right next to the bathroom. =D

I have had a great many flights go wrong. Missed connections, late flights, canceled legs, landing in the wrong state, sleeping in the airport, taking a taxi to the next closest airport to catch a flight... Lots of flights gone wrong. You'd think I'd be used to it, but each time it throws me for a loop. It really does. So tonight I'll just be thankful to be home, sleeping in my own bed.

And tomorrow I'll drive back to the airport to pick up my bags that will be arriving on the next Frontier flight.

No comments: