Sunday, November 15, 2009

Self Sufficiency

Eliana has become very self sufficient lately. I have to say, I am loving this stage. Here are some examples:

* The other morning Eliana wanted breakfast and I wasn't ready to get out of bed yet, so I told her to find something herself. I assumed she'd find something from the pantry to snack on until I could roll myself out from under the warm covers. Instead, she opened the fridge and got out a slice of bread. Then she put it in the toaster, pushed the button, and waited. Once it was done, she got out the butter and a knife, and buttered her bread before putting it on a plate, sitting at the table, and eating some of it. She didn't finish all of it, but, wow! I was impressed.

* Two days ago Eliana wanted to play in the snow, so I told her to go get her snow pants. Instead of bringing them to me to put on her, like I'd expected, she returned from her room fully clothed in snow apparel: Snow pants, coat, mittens, hat, snow boots. The only thing she needed help with was getting her coat zipper started! She happily tromped around outside in the snow for 30-45 minutes while I watched from the comfort of the warm house. Then, when she was ready to come inside, she came to the door and knocked. This is great!

* Yesterday Eliana wanted me to make her some chocolate milk, so she brought me a cup, her rice milk, and some chocolate syrup. Then, after I poured the milk, she put it back in the fridge. I added the chocolate syrup, and she put that away. By the time I had her drink prepared, she'd put everything away. That was the easiest glass of chocolate milk I've ever made!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Wow, she's awesome! Those were fun to read. I like it when kids start to take initiative and we don't have to make them. :-)