Friday, June 09, 2006

And they're off...

Well, Leif and Doug just left for their Tour Of the Swan River Valley bike ride near Missoula, otherwise known as TOSRV. It's a 2-day, 200 mile bike ride that Leif has been wanting to do for a couple years now. So this is the year. Here's a description from the website...

The Tour of the Swan River Valley West (TOSRV West) is a two-day, challenging and fun bicycle tour through one of western Montana's most scenic areas. It was established 36 years ago as a recreational and social event rather than a race.

Saturday, June 10
If you are starting your ride in Potomac, your short, uphill ride to breakfast will offer views of the ranch and Forest Service lands surrounding the rural community of Potomac. After fueling up on hot pancakes, fruit, and muffins you'll turn north into the Clearwater River Valley and continue on to the Swan River Valley. On your right will be the snow-covered peaks of the Swan Mountain range, part of the Continental Divide and Bob Marshall Wilderness. To your left is the rugged Mission Mountain range. Along this portion of the route you'll pass chains of glacial lakes and rural communities. Once you are re-energized by lunch in Seeley Lake, you'll continue along the Swan Valley to Condon and then Swan Lake for snacks. You may choose to camp overnight in Swan Lake, or continue on to the primary overnight destination in Bigfork. In Bigfork, a catered hot dinner will be served to all cyclists inside Bigfork School. Adjacent to this location is the camping area (camping fees are included in your registration). Bigfork has several hotels, but they tend to fill up quickly. Remember, you are responsible for making your own hotel reservations, but camping and showers in Bigfork are provided for free.

Sunday, June 11
Back on your bike, the ride begins with a liesurely 15 mile ride along the shore of Swan Lake. At Swan Lake you will enjoy a hearty breakfast inside the warm Swan Lake Community Center. From Swan Lake the route turns south and follows the Swan River Valley back to Potomac or Missoula, depending on your designated ride option. When you reach your chosen destination, its time to celebrate your accomplishment. You've finished the 36th Annual Tour of the Swan River Valley!

Impressive ride schedule if you ask me! I'm really hoping Leif will enjoy the challenge and have a great weekend. There's a 90% chance for rain all weekend in Missoula, so I'm hoping for that 10% chance of sunshine for him!

No comments: