Friday, October 12, 2012

Homeless....

Today on the way to gymnastics, Eliana piped up from the back seat of the car and asked, "Mommy, why are there all those poor people who just always show up?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, okay. Pretend that I don't have very much money, so I don't have any place to live. So I write a note on a piece of cardboard - which, I don't even know where they get that from - and stand there with my sign to ask for money. Why do they do that?"

"Well," I said, cautiously, "They do that because they don't have any money."

"I don't think they should."

"What should they do instead?"

"Well," Eliana said, "I think they should earn some money."

"How would they do that?"

"They could get a job."

It's that simple in her mind. She has to work for her money, so why shouldn't they? Interesting conversations with a 6 year old.

1 comment:

Ariana said...

How do you broach the topic of mental illness, inability to work and how Jesus said the poor and widows would always be with us? It's a hard topic, but Cora asks lots of questions about homeless people here too. She wants to show them love like Jesus did. A great teaching moment!