Saturday, December 03, 2011

Own Goal

I had been planning to take Ellie out for a donut breakfast date this morning before taking her up to Hyalite to play in the snow. When she woke up and groggily came to the dining room where I was leisurely enjoying a cup of coffee, I excitedly suggested we go out for donuts. She said she was hungry. I reiterated that we should go out for donuts. Again she replied that she was hungry. Patiently I replied to the apparently very sleepy child that we should go get a breakfast of pastries. Indulgently she explained to apparently quite dimwitted father that she was hungry and that she "should have some real food first," which is precisely the phrasing her parents use when she asks for treat-like foods at meal time. I was foiled by my own attempts to inculcate good eating habits.

No comments: